Texas has the largest pipeline infrastructure in the nation, with 469,737 miles of pipeline representing about 1/6 of the total pipeline mileage of the entire United States. Texas’ pipelines are divided into the categories of natural gas and LP-gas distribution lines (156,459 miles), hazardous liquid and natural gas transmission lines (72,370 miles), hazardous liquid and natural gas regulated gathering lines (6,654 miles), intrastate production and gathering lines leaving a lease (181,687 miles), and interstate lines (52,567 miles). The Railroad Commission of Texas has safety responsibility over the first four categories.
The Pipeline Safety department works to enforce compliance with federal and state laws and regulations by pipeline operators. These regulatory responsibilities extend to 1,387 operators of intrastate gathering, transmission, distribution, and master-metered systems. The Commission continues to lead the nation in adopting and enforcing safety rules to enhance the integrity of pipelines throughout the state.
The Commission also promotes and enforces an underground pipeline damage prevention program for Texas. The Pipeline Safety department is responsible for the enforcement of damage prevention regulations involving the movement of earth (excavation) surrounding pipeline facilities.
The goal of the Pipeline Safety department is to encourage an efficient, economical, and safe pipeline industry; to that end, we oversee pipeline activities to ensure compliance with state and federal safety regulations and promote public safety and awareness.
- Notice to Pipeline Operators - Requirement to Submit Pipeline Mileage Fees
- Convenience Fee Charges for Online ACH Payments Eliminated
- Pipeline Mileage Fee Courtesy Notice
- Natural Gas Distribution Operators - Pipeline Safety and Regulatory Fee for CY 2018
- Annual Pipeline Mileage Fee Due April 1, 2019
- Notice to Pipeline Operators: Pipeline Damage Penalty Adjustments
- Notice To Pipeline Operators: Update to Attribute Definitions Available Online
- 2020 Pipeline Mileage Fee Courtesy Notice